The Maze Runner by James Dashner



THE MAZE RUNNER
BY JAMES DASHNER
PUBLISHED: 2009
AVERAGE RATING: 4.03
384 PAGES
★★★★☆

Thomas wakes up in a lift and can't remember anything but his name. When the lift door opens, he meets a group of boys whose memories are also gone. He is welcomed into the Glade - a big area surrounded by stone walls. Outside of these walls are a big, dangerous maze. The boys know that somehow, the maze is the answer to why they are there and where they came from, but no one has found it. Soon after, the first girl ever arrives. And she has a message that may be their death sentence or they way out.

Ida's review
As a big fan of the dystopian genre, this was a trilogy I’ve been looking forward to read, and the first book did not disappoint. I was curious from page one about what was going on and how there could be an answer to all the questions I had while reading. It managed to keep me curious during the whole book, and I felt that every chapter was exciting.

I usually take a break after reading a book before starting on another, but this time I started on the second book the day after I finished the first. I just could not wait to find out what was going to happen.

If I have to say something negative about it, it is that I don't feel I get to know the characters as much as I wish. Most of them is a little deeper described than others, but I wish I knew them a little more.... I know that the concept of the book is that they don't even know who they are themselves, but still. That being said, this is not an issue because I still have two more books to read and I'll probably know them much better by the end of the trilogy.

All over I really enjoyed this book, and the fact that I had to begin on the next book right away means the writer has done a good job!

Marlene's review
Well, as I’m writing this I just finished the book and I’m mind-blown. The last pages was over in just a few seconds. What I love about this book is that it’s totally different from everything I’ve ever read before, I’ve read the big books by Suzanne Collins and Veronica Roth, who are in the same genre as the Maze Runner. The thing is, Dashner just took this book to another level of the dystopian genre.

As Ida Elise said, I wish we got to know the characters more, especially the protagonists: Teresa and Thomas. We get to know small parts of them - and I hope that during the next two books we will get to know who they are, and why they are in the Glade. What I love is that the book is written in another form than the normal “first-person”, this is written like “the fly on the wall” or the person who knows everything about the characters of the book, but only tells us parts of the truth. It’s exciting and I love it! And now, I really can’t wait to see the movie this friday!

´If you like the hunger games, divergent and the GONE-series, you will like this book too! If you haven't read any of those, this is a book for people who like to read about exciting versions of how the world will be like in the future and likes books a lot of action and excitement. I would guess the suitable age is 12-20.



Share this:

, , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Legg inn en kommentar