Book review: A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks



A WALK TO REMEMBER
BY NICHOLAS SPARKS
PUBLISHED: 1999
AVERAGE RATING: 4.14
240 PAGES
★★★★☆

I think most girls (and maybe some guys) fall for the simple pleasure of reading love-stories. For me, reading a love-story kind of gives me the illusion of having that kind of love in my life, because let's face it; we're probably never going to have our own Romeo and Juliet moment. Now, I don't want to let you down by saying that love like that doesn't exist, because I truly believe it does, but sometimes when reading love-stories I kind of sob to the fact that I never experienced that kind of love, than in the books I've read.

Nicholas Sparks, the man behind so many novels about love I think you could easily catch diabetes through reading his whole collection, and all though I've never really been fond of cliche love stories about two people who accidentally meet and fall in love endlessly, I have to say that I'm surprised. I am, so surprised that I'm sitting here in my bed at 12.30 am, wondering what I'd actually just read.

About thirty minutes ago I finished a book I'd been thinking about reading for a long time, Nicholas Sparks name had come up so often that I swore to myself that I was going to read at least one of his books during 2015. And I did, in about two days.

There was a time when the world was sweeter... when the women in Beaufort, North Carolina, wore dresses, and the men donned hats... Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he'd fall for was Jamie, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister... Jamie, who was destined to show him depths of the human heart - and the joy and pain of living.

I have to say that I was kind of looking forward to this book, since I'd seen the movie based on the novel, and I quite liked it even though it was, indeed, a cliche. The things that really made me love the novel more than the movie was the fact that the book is placed in the late 1950's, while the movie is placed in modern days, so the stories are quite different, and I must say that the book, it swept my heart away.

I had about four stages reading this book, first there was this, "aaw, that's cute" stage, where we get to know Landon, all though he's a douche bag, we can't help but think that some of the things he's thinking about, is kind of cute and adorable.
 
Then there was the "Nope, I'm not going to cry" stage where I was sitting there taking some deep breaths thinking, "I knew this was coming" (since I'd seen the movie). 
 
Then there was this "Okay, I'm crying now" stage, where I couldn't hold back because of all the sweetness. 
 
And when I finished the last page, about thirty minutes ago, my stage was called "Damn you Nicholas Sparks."

The thing about this movie is that it surprises you, I hadn't seen the movie in such a long time, but I could remember the ups and downs throughout the movie, and I have to say, the book is such a lovely little thing, and in only 240 pages I fell completely in love with Landon Carter. (I'm hereby apologizing to my boyfriend, because if you're reading this, you know I have a somewhat fictional love for every character I stumble upon. It's nothing personal).

I would absolutely recommend this book for people who have read for example John Green, whom I can actually say was just hit down a notch because of the wonderful experience of reading Nicholas Sparks. His writing is beautiful and easy, and there wasn't even a second where I was really bored during the book. Read it, and as Nicholas Sparks, during the prologue wrote: "First you will smile, and then you will cry - don't say you haven't been warned."

I haven't been bored once during this book, and story is moving. I recommend you to read this, and as you do, I will start the search for more of his books.


Share this:

, , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Legg inn en kommentar