Ida's January Wishlist!

So, even though I've promised myself to spend less money on stuff this year, I can't help constantly finding new books I feel that I have to have in my bookshelf. So, here are some of the books I've been longing for lately (no particular order):


1.
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Published June 7th, 2011
Average rating on goodreads is 3.82
352 pages
And it holds the genres fantasy, young adult, paranormal and mystery. 

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

How exciting does that sound, right? I've been seeing this one around a lot recently, because the movie is due in 2016, and it immediatly caught my attention. Both the description of the story and the cover of the book makes it look like it's a really interesting read!

2.
We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver
Published July 3rd, 2006
Average Rating on Goodreads is 4.06
400 pages
And holds the genres fiction and thriller. 

Eva never really wanted to be a mother - and certainly not the mother of the unlovable boy who murdered seven of his fellow high school students, a cafeteria worker, and a much-adored teacher who tried to befriend him, all two days before his sixteenth birthday. Now, two years later, it is time for her to come to terms with marriage, career, family, parenthood, and Kevin's horrific rampage in a series of startlingly direct correspondences with her estranged husband, Franklin. Uneasy with the sacrifices and social demotion of motherhood from the start, Eva fears that her alarming dislike for her own son may be responsible for driving him so nihilistically off the rails.

I read about this one in one of the top 10 lists forreadingaddicts made. 10 Best psychological thrillers to be exact (Link HERE). We need to talk about Kevin came first on that list with the comment: No one should read this book, ever! No one who ever wants children, is bringing up children, wants to spend time with children in the future, or has ever been a child, should read this book. And just like that, I have to read and own this book because I'm 99% sure it will creep me out in the creepiest way possible and it's almost wrong how much I love that. Also, the rating on goodreads and the fact that so many people seem to love this one just makes me even more certain that this is one of those that need to be here by my side in my bookshelf!

3.
After the Crash by Michel Bussi
Published March 12th, 2015
Average Rating on Goodreads is 3.76
432 pages
And holds the genres Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, Crime and Suspense.

On the night of 22 December 1980, a plane crashes on the Franco-Swiss border and is engulfed in flames. 168 out of 169 passengers are killed instantly. The miraculous sole survivor is a three-month-old baby girl. Two families, one rich, the other poor, step forward to claim her, sparking an investigation that will last for almost two decades. Is she Lyse-Rose or Emilie?
Eighteen years later, having failed to discover the truth, private detective Credule Grand-Duc plans to take his own life, but not before placing an account of his investigation in the girl's hands. But, as he sits at his desk about to pull the trigger, he uncovers a secret that changes everything - then is killed before he can breathe a word of it to anyone...

It bothers me a lot - I seriously can't remember where I read about this one, but I remember that when I read about it, I was convinced this is a book I'll love. I does'nt really sound like it when I read about the plot, it's just something here that normally wouldn't quite get to me. But because of what I read (which I wish I could link to now, but I'm starting to give up ever remembering where I read it), this one is a must. 

4.
All the Rage by Courtney Summers
Published April 14th, 2015
321 pages
And holds the genres Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller and Realistic Fiction.
The sheriff’s son, Kellan Turner, is not the golden boy everyone thinks he is, and Romy Grey knows that for a fact. Because no one wants to believe a girl from the wrong side of town, the truth about him has cost her everything—friends, family, and her community. Branded a liar and bullied relentlessly by a group of kids she used to hang out with, Romy’s only refuge is the diner where she works outside of town. No one knows her name or her past there; she can finally be anonymous. But when a girl with ties to both Romy and Kellan goes missing after a party, and news of him assaulting another girl in a town close by gets out, Romy must decide whether she wants to fight or carry the burden of knowing more girls could get hurt if she doesn’t speak up. Nobody believed her the first time—and they certainly won’t now — but the cost of her silence might be more than she can bear. 

With a shocking conclusion and writing that will absolutely knock you out, All the Rage examines the shame and silence inflicted upon young women after an act of sexual violence, forcing us to ask ourselves: In a culture that refuses to protect its young girls, how can they survive?

This one was on my sister's wishlist for christmas and we spent some time talking about it. I've read a couple of reviews, and just reading about this book makes me want to cry. This is not really a book I want to read... But it's a book I kind of have to read. Because it's the books that makes you feel something, that you remember the rest of your life, that tells the story that is so close to the truth we want to deny it, those are the books we should read. And I think this might be one of those I'll remember forever.
5.
A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
Published 2nd of June, 2015
286 pages
And holds the genres horror, thriller, mystery and suspense
The lives of the Barretts, a normal suburban New England family, are torn apart when fourteen-year-old Marjorie begins to display signs of acute schizophrenia.

To her parents' despair, the doctors are unable to stop Marjorie's descent into madness. As their stable home devolves into a house of horrors, they reluctantly turn to a local Catholic priest for help. Father Wanderly suggests an exorcism; he believes the vulnerable teenager is the victim of demonic possession. He also contacts a production company that is eager to document the Barretts' plight. With John, Marjorie's father, out of work for more than a year and the medical bills looming, the family agrees to be filmed, and soon find themselves the unwitting stars of The Possession, a hit reality television show. When events in the Barrett household explode in tragedy, the show and the shocking incidents it captures become the stuff of urban legend.

Fifteen years later, a bestselling writer interviews Marjorie's younger sister, Merry. As she recalls those long ago events that took place when she was just eight years old, long-buried secrets and painful memories that clash with what was broadcast on television begin to surface--and a mind-bending tale of psychological horror is unleashed, raising vexing questions about memory and reality, science and religion, and the very nature of evil.

Marlene wrote about this one in her Tuesday TBR (link HERE), and she was also the one who told me about it. Freaking Stephen King was scared by this one, and as Marley said: What in the world could scare that guy? So now I have to read it. I have to, I have to, I have to, I have to. 
Also, it sound like a really exciting book and the few reviews I have read convinced me this is one that's going to end up in my bookshelf.


Share this:

, , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Legg inn en kommentar